Friday, November 27, 2009

Orchithemis pulcherrima

Orchithemis pulcherrima is found at swamp and forest edge. I spotted a good number of them in a slow flowing small stream in an oil palm plantation. The male of O. pulcherrima has two different colour forms - red and blue. Generally, the red form is more common than the blue form. I spotted a wheel pair of O. pulcherrima, and I tried to photograph good them. However, I only managed to get one shot of them in wheel (of course the photo is far from perfect). The mating pair just formed a wheel for very short moment, roughly 30 seconds. Then, the wheel was broken...... it is really challenging to get good shot of O. pulcherrima in wheel. I guess I have try my luck next time.........


a male O. pulcherrima; red colour form


a wheel of O. pulcherrima