Friday, April 4, 2008

Libellulidae - Lyriothemis biappendiculata

Lyriothemis biappendiculata (Selys, 1878)
I was in the Bangi Forest Reserve today. Some clearing work is going on in the forest to maintain the jungle trail. In order to make the workers' life easier, I went into the forest to re-mark the trail. At the swampy area along the jungle trail, I bumped into this little guy - Lyriothemis biappendiculata. I quickily took out my compact digital camera to make a few good snaps on this guy. Lyriothemis biappendiculata is a forest species and it is normally found at swampy area or sometimes perch at dense vegetation a bit away from the swamp. The broad flattened bright red abdomen identifies the species. Some people with imaginative mind portray the abdomen of L. biappendiculata as a red-coloured lip of a pretty lady.