Monday, October 27, 2008

Aeshnidae Larva I

I went to a swampy pond in the Bangi Forest Reserve yesterday to catch some tadpoles. To my surprise, I spotted many aeshnid larvae (see photo below), and most of them are in the size range of 2-3 cm. These larvae have similar appearence, therefore, I think they are from the same species. Five aeshnid species have been recorded in Bangi Forest Reserve (Click here to see the checklist for Bangi Forest Reserve):

Anax guttatus (Burmeister, 1839)
Anax panybeus Hagen, 1867
Gynacantha basiguttata Selys, 1882
Gynacantha bayadera Selys, 1891
Gynacantha subinterrupta Rambur, 1842

To my own judgement, these larvae do not seem to be Anax species. Therefore, they could be one of those Gynacantha species. I am not good at larva identification. Anyway, I caught a few of them for rearing in hope to get the correct identification.

the black colour bar is 1 cm in length